How to Add a Turnitin Assignment to the Course
Build the Turnitin assignment in Modules
- Enter Modules
- Click on a module's + (plus icon)
- Click on the Add menu and select Assignment
- In the Assignment menu select Create Assignment
- In Assignment Name, type the assignment's title
- Add Item
- Return to the module and click the assignment's title to enter the assignment
- Click on Edit
- In the text editor add instructions
- In the Points box add the points possible for the assignment
- In the Submission Type menu select Online
- In the Online menu select File Uploads
- In the Plagiarism Review menu select Turnitin-Canvas
Settings have been pre-selected on your behalf to provide the most common experience in using the Turnitin features. You have the option to adjust the following:
- In the Store submissions in dropdown menu
You can change from the suggested setting, Standard Paper Repository, to Do not store the submitted papers. This means that the students' work will not be stored and compared to their own and peers' work in the future.
- In the Compare submissions against list
You may uncheck boxes to disable submission to specific repositories.
Note: If you do not select 'Yes' for at least one of the options, then a Similarity Report will not be generated.
- Student repository
Check against the Turnitin student paper repository when processing similarity Reports for papers.
- Website content
Check against internet content included in the Turnitin repository when processing similarity Reports for papers. New content added to the internet can require several months of processing in order to be incorporated into the Turnitin repository.
- Periodicals, journals and publications
Check against journals, periodicals and publications in the Turnitin repository when processing Similarity Reports for papers.
- In the Similarity report list
You may check boxes to enable the following:
- Exclude bibliographic materials
Check the box to exclude text appearing in the bibliography, works cited, or references sections of student papers from being checked for matches when generating similarity Reports. This setting can be overridden in Feedback Studio.
- Exclude Quoted Materials
Check the box to exclude text appearing in the quotes from being checked for matches when generating similarity Reports. This setting can be overridden in Feedback Studio.
- Exclude Small Matches
Check the box to exclude matches that are not of sufficient length—choose word count or percentage—from being considered when generating similarity Reports. This setting can be overridden in Feedback Studio.
- In the Show report to students dropdown menu
You may choose one of the following:
- Immediately (recommended)
Students can see the Similarity report as soon as it has processed. Students can re-submit until the Canvas assignment Due Date has occurred. After 3 resubmissions, similarity reports take up to 24 hours to process. Only the similarity report for the latest submission is available to the student. The instructor can see previous versions. Student submissions will compare against one another within the assignment, which may result in a change in the similarity report for some students when the due date and time occurs. This option is typically used when students are self-reviewing and revising their submissions and able to view the Similarity Report. No resubmissions are allowed after the assignment due date has occurred.
- After the assignment is graded
Students will see the Similarity Report after the instructor has submitted a score in the Canvas assignment.
- After the due date
Similarity Reports will not be generated for any submission until the Canvas assignment Due Date has occurred. Students may resubmit as many times as needed before the due date, but no reports will be visible until the due date has passed. No resubmissions allowed after the assignment due date has passed.
- In the Assign section, add the Due date
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on Save, to save your work but hide the assignment from students, or Save & Publish, if you are ready to share the assignment with students.
Note: Similarity Report generation after 3 resubmissions is subject to a 24-hour delay.